Elections and Voting
Election judges are essential to our democracy. Serving as an election judge provides an opportunity to learn more about the election process and is a great service to our community. If you are selected to serve, judges will be paid an hourly rate of $13 per hour. To encourage participation, state law allows individuals to take time off from work, without penalty of loss of wages, to serve as an election judge.
|Official Duties||Required Qualifications|
|On Election Day you may be expected to:||To serve as an election judge you must:|
You cannot be:
Notice of Election
Notice of Public Accuracy Test
Notice for Candidate Filing for City Election
|Sept. 22-Nov. 6||Absentee ballot voting period: 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.|
|Oct. 17||Last day to pre-register: closes at 5:00 p.m.|
|Oct. 20||Direct ballot voting begins: 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.|
|Nov. 4||Extended hours for absentee and direct ballot voting: 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.|
|Nov. 6||Extended hours for absentee and direct ballot voting: 5:00 p.m.|
|Nov. 7||Election Day: polls open 7:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m.|
To vote you must be:
- a United States citizen
- at least 18 years old on Election Day
- a resident of Minnesota for 20 days
- not currently incarcerated for a felony offense
- not under court-ordered guardianship in which the court order revokes your right to vote
- not been found by a court to be legally incompetent
If you're wondering, Am I registered to vote in Minnesota? you can find your registration status. Just enter your name, birthday, and address. Find your Minnesota voter registration
You are encouraged to pre-register to vote before Election Day. Pre-registration saves time for everyone on Election Day. Your registration is permanent provided you vote at least once every four years and do not change your residence or name. Registration temporarily closes 20 days before the election and opens again on Election Day for voters who register at their polling place.
Register Online. It’s quick and easy! You will need your Minnesota driver’s license or Minnesota identification card number, or the last four numbers of your Social Security Number. Register to vote or update your voter registration
Register on Paper. Download and print a Voter Registration Application. Mail your completed Voter Registration Application to: Dakota County Elections, 1590 Highway 55, Suite 2300, Hastings, MN 55033-2343. Forms are also available at Dakota County Western Service Center, 14955 Galaxie Avenue, Apple Valley, MN, or the Apple Valley Municipal Center, 7100 147th Street W., Apple Valley, MN.
The sample ballot shows a list of the candidates and ballot questions you'll be voting on. Information is posted about 45 days before an election.
A sample ballot is not available for all local elections. You may need to contact the local government (city, town or school district) holding the election.
In Minnesota, you can vote early with an absentee ballot starting 46 days before Election Day. To request a ballot, complete an Absentee Ballot Application and return the application in-person, by mail, email, or fax.
- In-person: Dakota County Western Service Center, 14955 Galaxie Avenue, Apple Valley, MN 55124, or Apple Valley Municipal Center, 7100 147th Street W., Apple Valley, MN 55124
- Mail: Dakota County Administration Center, 1590 Highway 55, Suite 2300, Hastings, MN 55033
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 651-438-4391
An absentee ballot can also be requested online for federal, state, and county elections only.
During the final 18 days before Election Day, voters who vote in person are allowed to place their ballots directly into a ballot counter instead of sealing them into envelopes for later processing. This allows a voter to watch as their ballot is tabulated and to be made aware of any errors the ballot counter may detect as the ballot is processed.
Direct Balloting is available at the following locations:
- Apple Valley Municipal Center, 7100 147th Street W., Apple Valley, MN 55124
- Dakota County Western Service Center, 14955 Galaxie Avenue, Apple Valley, MN 55124
- Dakota County Northern Service Center, 1 Mendota Road, West St. Paul, MN 55118
- Dakota County Administration Center, 1590 Highway 55, Hastings, MN 55033
The Minnesota Secretary of State website provides a Polling Place Finder to help you find out where to vote. Simply select your zip code and address to get started.
City of Apple Valley Polling Places
Revival Baptist Church, 964 Garden View Drive
Apple Valley Senior Center, 14601 Hayes Road
Redwood Community Center, 311 150th Street W.
Apple Valley Community Center, 14603 Hayes Road
Bethel’s Rock Church, 14201 Cedar Avenue
Education Partnership Building, 14200 Cedar Avenue
Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church, 12650 Johnny Cake Ridge Road
Greenleaf Elementary School, 13333 Galaxie Avenue
Community of Christ Church, 5990 134th Street Court
South Suburban Evangelical Free Church, 12600 Johnny Cake Ridge Road
ISD 196 District Service Center, 14301 Diamond Path
Spirit of Life Presbyterian Church, 14401 Pilot Knob Road
Johnny Cake Activity Center, 14255 Johnny Cake Ridge Road
Apple Valley Municipal Center, 7100 147th Street W.
River Valley Church, 14898 Energy Way
Hope Church, 7477 145th Street W.
- The polling places for precincts 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, and 16 are located outside the precinct boundaries.
- All precincts are in Federal 2nd Congressional District.
- All precincts are in State Senate District 56.
- Precincts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 14, 15, and 16 are in State Legislative District 56A.
- Precincts 9, 10, 11, and 13 are in State Legislative District 56B.
- All precincts are in Metropolitan Council District 16.
- All precincts are in Dakota County Commissioner District 7.
- Mayor and Councilmember Offices are nonpartisan and represent the City at-large.
In 2024, two Apple Valley City Councilmember seats, for four-year terms each, will be on the ballot for the November 5, 2024, General and City Election. To be eligible to file for office, the person must be:
- an eligible voter
- not have filed for any other office at the election
- be 21 years of age or more upon assuming office
- have maintained residence in the City for 30 days before the election
Filing for office opens July 30, 2024, and continues until 5:00 p.m. on August 13, 2024. The filing fee is $40.00 and Affidavits of Candidacy are filed with the City Clerk by email at email@example.com, by facsimile at 952-953-2515, or in-person at the Apple Valley Municipal Center, 7100 147th Street W., between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on regular business days and until 5:00 p.m. on the last day of filing.
Candidates are subject to the Minnesota Fair Campaign Practices Act and financial reporting requirements. Further information about these requirements is available at mnvotes.org.
Candidates who filed: Filing period is currently closed.